The Lexington Stakes was the only Graded three-year-old race of the week and Exhi was never headed in a sharp performance. The Todd Pletcher trainee falls short on the Graded Earnings list and will not be running on the first Saturday in May. He earned a 94 BSF for his Keeneland triumph.
The Grade 3 Derby Trial is a $200,000 one-mile test for 3yo’s at Churchill Downs on April 24. A victory by Eightyfiveinafifty or Pleasant Prince would be enough to land either in the Kentucky Derby starting gate.
1. Eskendereya (Giant’s Causeway) – Repeated his facile Fountain of Youth tally in the Wood Memorial. The deserving Kentucky Derby favorite worked 5f (1:02) at Palm Meadows on April 17 and will arrive in Louisville on Tuesday. Style: Presser.
2. Lookin At Lucky (Smart Strike) – Showed determination in a troubled show finish in the Santa Anita Derby. The 2yo champ is a serious threat on the first Saturday in May. He will work at Churchill Downs on April 22. Style: Versatile.
3. Sidney’s Candy (Candy Ride) – Impressive wire job wins in the San Vicente, San Felipe, and Santa Anita Derby. Strong five furlong (:59.80) Churchill work on April 17. Style: Early runner.
4. Dublin (Invincible Spirit) – Some believe he is a hanger but I get the feeling he could surprise in the Derby if able to sit back and make a run like he did in the Southwest. The Wayne Lukas trainee worked a swift five furlongs (:59.13) on April 19. Style: Versatile.
5. Endorsement (Distorted Humor) – He earned a quality speed figure and looked strong visually in Sunland Derby victory. He worked five furlongs in 1:01.60 at Keeneland on April 17. Style: Presser.
6. Awesome Act (Awesome Again) – Had everything go wrong (bad start, threw a shoe, rank) and go no pace help in Wood Memorial. He will drill six furlongs at Churchill on April 20. Style: Closer.
7. Super Saver (Maria’s Mon) – Stalked a fast pace and missed by a neck in the Arkansas Derby. Calvin Borel will ride in the Kentucky Derby. Style: Early runner.
8. Ice Box (Pulpit) – He got a perfect setup in the Florida Derby and the same situation might present itself at Churchill Downs. Breeding and connections add to his appeal. The Nick Zito charge worked four furlongs (:48.40) on April 16. Style: Closer.
9. Jackson Bend (Hear No Evil) – Currently sits 21st on the Graded Earnings list. He is not in the same league as Eskendereya but he always fights hard to the end and has never finished out of the exacta. Style: Stalker
10. Setsuko (Pleasantly Perfect) – Santa Anita Derby runner-up has the right running style and pedigree to make some noise in Kentucky. He currently ranks 25th on the Graded Earnings list and might be left out in the cold. Style: Closer.
Honorable Mention: American Lion (Eoin Harty), Interactif (Todd Pletcher), Line of David (John Sadler), Noble’s Promise (Ken McPeek), Rule (Todd Pletcher)