2011 Kentucky Oaks Top 10 – Plum Crazy
- Updated: March 31, 2011
The performance of the week was turned in by Plum Pretty. The Bob Baffert trainee dominated a suspect crew in the Sunland Oaks and looked great doing it. She cruised by 25 lengths and earned a 99 BSF.
Summer Soireee (91 BSF) romped in the Bourbonette Oaks at Turfway and she joins stablemate Joyful Victory in the top ten. In a late development, Team Valor International purchased Summer Soiree and she is now under the care of Graham Motion. She is off to Keeneland to prepare for the Kentucky Oaks.
Daisy Devine (84 BSF) won a less than stellar renewal of the Fair Grounds Oaks. Top ten member Inglorious finished a disappointing 4th and drops off the list.
Gran Lioness (79 BSF) turned back and went wire-to-wire in the 6f Prima Donna Stakes at Oaklawn Park.
Azeri’s daughter Arienza made it 2-for-2 with an Oaklawn allowance sprint win. She is expected to step up and stretch out in the stakes ranks next time.
Former top ranked miss Turbulent Descent and the aforementioned Gran Lioness appear to have distance limitations and their connections have opted for shorter events. They could meet in Keeneland’s 7f Beaumont. Strong route efforts this week coupled with disappointing efforts and changing plans have opened up a few spots on my list.
A Z Warrior has not worked since finishing 3rd in the March 5 Santa Anita Oaks. She also drops out of the top ten and the whole bottom half of my list changes.
The purse for the 2011 Kentucky Oaks has been bumped up to a cool $1 million and Kathmanblu closed as the 7-2 favorite in the Oaks Future Wager pool (March 11-13). I planned on playing Joyful Victory but she was hammered from 20-1 to 8-1 after her romping win in the Honeybee.
Click on the names of each horse below to view their Horse Racing Nation profile page, which includes pedigree information, results, and video.
Check out the top 2011 Kentucky Oaks contenders on Horse Racing Nation.
Jarrod Horak’s Top Ten Fillies:
1. R Heat Lightning (Trippi) – Romping Davona Dale winner drilled a 4f bullet in :47.60 (1/60) at Palm Meadows on 3-27. The April 2 Gulfstream Oaks is next.
2. Kathmanblu (Bluegrass Cat) – Rachel Alexandra Stakes winner skipped the Fair Grounds Oaks. She goes next in the April 9 Ashland and breezed 5f in 1:03.85 (10/10) at Gulfstream Park on 3-25.
3. Zazu (A.P. Indy) – Las Virgenes winner just missed in the Santa Anita Oaks. She breezed 4f in :50.20 (11/19) at Hollywood Park on 3-28.
4. Dancinginherdreams (Tapit) – Runner-up in the Forward Gal and Davona Dale. She sports the look of a two turn animal and will get her route chance in the Ashland. Breezed 4f in :50.70 (24/26) at Palm Meadows on 3-28.
5. Joyful Victory (Tapit) – Romped in Oaklawn’s Honeybee and goes next in the April 10 Fantasy. Breezed 5f in 1:01.60 (7/20) at Oaklawn on 3-29.
6. It’s Tricky (Mineshaft) – Kiaran McLaughlin’s undefeated filly tackles R Heat Lightning in Saturday’s Gulfstream Oaks. Breezed 4f in :49.65 (26/41) at Palm Meadows on March 26.
7. Plum Pretty (Medaglia d’Oro) – She roared into the Kentucky Oaks picture with a dominating two turn win in the Sunland Oaks. Zazu beat her twice at Santa Anita earlier this year.
8. Summer Soiree (War Front) – Recent Team Valor acquisition will go straight to the Kentucky Oaks following a facile Bourbonette victory.
9. Arienza (Giant’s Causeway) – Captured both Oaklawn Park starts and goes next in the Fantasy or Instant Racing at that venue.
10. Daisy Devine (Kafwain) – New top ten member finished 2nd in the Silverbulletday and 1st in the Fair Grounds Oaks. The Kentucky Oaks is next.